Are you wondering what is Food and Nutrition Services? It is called FNS for short and is the North Carolina name for the national Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP. SNAP (formerly Food Stamps) is a national food assistance program that helps millions of households access food they need to be healthy.
SNAP/FNS provides monthly benefits to purchase food for you and your family. You can purchase most food items including:
- Meats (fresh, frozen, deli)
- Fruits/Vegetables (fresh, frozen, canned)
- Seeds and plants to grow your own food
Monthly SNAP/FNS benefit amounts vary, based on the size of your household, income, and other factors. The amount you receive is determined by your local Department of Social Services after you apply. A household with one person can receive up to $189 per month in SNAP/FNS benefits and a family of three can receive up to $497 per month. This can make a big impact on your monthly budget!!
Find out if you’re eligible for SNAP/FNS!
Call More In My Basket toll-free at 1-855-240-1451 for information and assistance.
More In My Basket staff can:
- Answer questions you have about SNAP/FNS,
- Complete a quick screening to help you find out if you’re eligible, and
- Provide assistance with completing with SNAP/FNS application.
More In My Basket’s toll-free assistance line is open Monday – Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm.
You can also complete an application online using NC ePASS.