Black Bean & Rice Salad
Black Bean and Rice Salad is the perfect summer dish. Served cool, add this meal as a side item during family cookouts or as a main dish. Prepare this recipe in advance so you’ll have more time to spend with friends and family at gatherings. Before shopping for ingredients, be sure to check your refrigerator and pantry as some of these items are common pantry shelf stable items. Use your SNAP benefits to maximize your food dollar when shopping for additional ingredients.
Ingredients (Makes 3 servings):
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup bell pepper (green or red, chopped)
- 1 cup brown rice (or white rice, cooked and cooled)
- 1 can black beans (15 ounce, drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (or white wine vinegar or lemon juice)
- mustard powder (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together onion, red or green pepper, rice and beans.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, add vinegar, dry mustard, garlic, salt, pepper and vegetable oil. Shake until dressing is evenly mixed.
- Pour dressing over bean mixture and stir to mix evenly. Chill for at least one hour. Serve cold as a side dish or main dish.
Recipe & Nutrition Facts Accessed at:
Leave a Reply