If you are eyeing the beginning of school with the mixed emotions of excitement and apprehension, you are in good company. After all, ensuring that your children have everything they need can be overwhelming.
Good news is, your SNAP benefits can be helpful when meal planning fun, easy, and healthy recipes for everyone in your household.
Here are a few ideas that will not take too much of your precious time and your children are sure to love:
- 1 apple (small or medium)
- 10 slices of mandarin oranges, drained
- Wash apple. Cut in half.
- Place apple half in center of small plate.
- Put mandarin oranges next to apple to create arms, legs, and head.
- Calories: 58kcal
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Protein: 0g
- Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: N/A
- Sodium: 2mg
- Calcium: 9mg
- Sugar: 11g
Adults: If you are preparing this dish with children, make sure you are the one using the can opener and knife, and that you discard the sharp-edged lid from can immediately.
Recipe and nutrition facts retrieved at: https://www.myplate.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/turtle-apple
- 2 canned peach halves
- 2 tablespoons cottage cheese, low-fat (1 ounce)
- 1/2 tablespoon raisins (6 raisins)
- Place one peach half, cut side up, in center of plate for nest.
- Place 1 tablespoon of cottage cheese in center of nest.
- Place raisins on cottage cheese to make eggs.
- Calories: 143kcal
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 4g
- Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Sodium: 102mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- Sugar: 25g
Adults: If you are preparing this dish with children, make sure you are the one using the can opener and that you discard the sharp-edged lid immediately.
Recipe and nutrition facts retrieved at: https://www.myplate.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/eagle-nest
Banana Breakfast Rolls
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, low fat
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 medium bananas
- 3 medium tortilla, whole wheat
- Mix cinnamon, cream cheese, and honey in a small bowl.
- Spread that mixture on the tortilla.
- Place a whole banana on the tortilla and roll up.
- Place it on a hot griddle or pan.
- Grill the tortillas both sides are golden.
- Calories: 123kcal
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Sodium: 133mg
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 8g
Recipe and nutrition facts retrieved at: https://www.superhealthykids.com/kid-friendly-power-breakfasts-go/
For questions about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or to receive Application Assistance contact the More In My Basket staff at morefood.org.
English Toll Free: 1-855-240-1451
Spanish Toll Free: 1-888-382-7105