If you’re looking for a quick and easy meal with seasonal flavor, look no further. This one pan meal is perfect for the midweek madness and is so simple the kids can get involved. Substitute ground turkey for ground beef to achieve a leaner meat option. Add cheese for additional flavor or other vegetable of your choice (not represented in the nutrition information listed below). Cabbage is currently in season in North Carolina. Check out your local Farmer’s Market or grocery store as prices are typically lower when in season. Don’t forget to use your SNAP dollars.
- 1/2 pound ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, low-sodium (16 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce (or tomato juice)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup minute rice (brown)
- 1 cabbage head (small to medium, chopped in bite-sized pieces)
- Brown ground beef in a skillet with onion and garlic. Drain off any fat.
- Place meat in a large pot and add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce (or juice), and cabbage. Cook until cabbage is almost tender.
- Add minute rice and cook five minutes longer. Serve.
Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
|Total Sugars||7 g|
|Added Sugars included||0 g|
|Vitamin D||0 mcg|