College Students & SNAP

Universities are open and students are back on campus full time. Food insecurity, the lack of sufficient food to eat, is a significant issue among the college population. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) isn’t just for families. SNAP can assist single college students as well.

If you are a college student or know one, this information may be helpful for you.

Student requirements apply to individuals aged 18 thru 49 who are enrolled at least half-time in an institution of higher education.

SNAP Guidelines for College Students:

1. The student is enrolled at least half-time in an institution of higher education; AND 

2. Is eligible to participate in a State or federally financed work study program during the regular school year as determined by the institution of higher education, OR

3. In the current academic year, has an expected family contribution of $0 as determined by the financial aid office of the institution of higher education.

If the conditions (1 & 2 or 1 & 3) are not met: then the student is subject to Work Requirements and must be working an average of 20 hours per week or 80 hours in a month of paid employment.

College Student Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Question: What can I provide for proof of residency, if I am “couch surfing” or otherwise not listed on a lease?

  • Answer: Any written statement from someone besides yourself, who knows your situation, that states where you live, will be acceptable. The person writing the statement should provide their name and phone number or email address, so we can contact them if needed.

Question: If my mailing address is different from my residential address, will my application be denied?

  • Answer: Your application will not be denied. You should apply for FNS in the county where you currently reside, but if you receive mail at a different address, be sure to let us know, so that your notice and EBT card, if approved, are sent to your mailing address.

Question: What should I provide to show that I do not have a meal plan in college?

  • Answer: You do not need to show proof that you do not have a meal plan. We will accept what you tell us about this.

Question: The form that I need to turn in to report my financial aid and cost of attendance/daycare, asks for my signature and the signature of university staff. How can I get these signatures if campus offices are closed and I can’t access a printer? 

  • Answer: It is ok to return this form without “wet” signatures if it is emailed to us by the university staff member, from his or her work email address.

Question: What is the maximum amount of savings a single college student can declare and be eligible for FNS benefits? 

  • Answer: In most situations, we do not count savings or other assets when determining FNS eligibility.

Question: I have a roommate, but we don’t purchase groceries together or eat together, do I have to include them on my application?

  • Answer: You only need to include yourself if your purchase, prepare, and eat alone.

For more information or help with applying, contact More In My Basket at 1-855-240-1451. For assistance in Spanish call, 1-888-382-7105.