The weather is heating up and we have the perfect recipe to cool you down! There’s nothing more satisfying than fresh fruit on a warm day. Although we’re use to taking a bite out of our fruit, why not drink it? Cantaloupe is in season during the months of July and August. In season produce may be lower in price since it is in abundance. For a full list of in-season produce check out the North Carolina Agriculture Chart.
The cantaloupe cooler can be used to quench your thirst or if you’re searching for something semi sweet, drink this. This recipe can be used with other melons or strawberries too!
- 1 cantaloupe (ripe)
- 2 1/2 cups orange juice (cold)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (granulated)
- ice (crushed)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cut melon in half. Scoop out seeds, remove rind and discard. Cut melon into 1-inch cubes.
- In blender or food processor, blend melon cubes with 1/2 cup orange juice until smooth.
- Pour puree into pitcher and stir in the remaining orange juice and the sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into glasses filled with crushed ice.
All of the ingredients for the above recipes are SNAP eligible. For questions about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or to receive Application Assistance contact the More In My Basket staff:
English Toll Free: 1-855-240-1451
Spanish Toll Free: 1-888-382-7105
Recipe and Nutrition Facts accessed at: https://www.myplate.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/cantaloupe-cooler