Cornbread is a dinner classic. Homemade cornbread can be easily made and added as a side for most meals. Ingredients such as flour can be substituted for whole wheat flour and kernels of corn can be added for more flavor. Bake your mix as a loaf, single layer, or muffins. Each option can serve as an on the go snack. Whichever way you choose to enjoy, make sure to utilize your SNAP benefits as all the ingredients are eligible items.
Other Ways to Enjoy:
- Add cheese
- Use as a bun
- Add jelly and eat as dessert
- Add jalapenos for extra spice
Ingredients (Makes 12 Servings):
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk, non-fat
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Grease 8- or 9-inch square pan.
- Measure cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine ingredients.
- Crack egg into a small bowl and beat with a fork to combine white and yolk.
- Add egg, oil, and milk to flour mixture. Mix until ingredients are well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until firm to touch or wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Recipe & Nutrition Facts Accessed at: