It’s officially Fall and the holidays will be here soon. Holiday meal preparation begins now, at least the menu planning! Take advantage of in season fruits and vegetables in North Carolina to plan your meals. Don’t forget, if it’s in season the price will be much lower and utilize less of your SNAP benefits. Kale is now in season and such a versatile vegetable. Crunchy Kale Chips offer a healthy alternative to traditional chips. This snack can be prepared in advanced and properly stored for consumption later. With three (3) simple ingredients, Crunchy Kale Chips is a kid-friendly and kid-approved recipe! Try different seasonings for to achieve the taste you desire.
- 1 bunch of fresh kale (about 8 cups, chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon of canola or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 3 cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash kale leaves.
- Cut leaves off of thick stem and thoroughly dry leaves in a salad spinner or by blotting with paper towels. Discard stems.
- Tear or cut leaves into bite sized pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle oil over kale and toss to coat well.
- Place kale leaves onto baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until edges brown. About 10-15 minutes.
- Serve while hot.
The Nutrition Label is representative of the above ingredients. Additional seasonings will change the Nutrition Label contents.