There’s nothing better than homemade French toast. Use your SNAP dollars to buy just five ingredients and enjoy! Put a twist on traditional plain French toast by adding fruit, or using honey instead of syrup.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup non-fat milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- Syrup or other toppings (optional)
- Preheat the griddle over medium heat, or set an electric frying pan at 375 degrees.
- Put eggs, milk, and vanilla in a pie pan or shallow bowl and beat with a fork until well mixed.
- Grease the griddle or pan with a thin layer of oil or use nonstick spray.
- Dip both sides of bread, one slice at a time, in the egg mixture and cook on the hot griddle or frying pan.
- Cook on one side until golden brown. Turn the bread over to cook the other side. It will take about 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with syrup, applesauce, fruit slices, or jam.
Prep and cook time
Prep time: 2 minutes, Cook time: 8 minutes
- Amount per serving: 100 calories
- 13 grams carbohydrate
- 2.5 grams fat
- 6 grams protein
- 2 grams dietary fiber
University of Wisconsin, Cooperative Extension Services
Recipe and Nutritional Information Retrieved from: