Grab some pita chips, it’s time for dip! If you’re looking for a mid-day snack to munch on, give Green Basilla Dip a try. We call this “Basilla” since that is the Arabic name for peas. The recipe is inspired by true hummus (Arabic for chickpeas); this recipe uses green peas and results in a hummus-like texture. This simple recipe only calls for a few ingredients and all items are SNAP eligible. With only five minutes of preparation, your tastebuds will thank you sooner than later. This healthy recipe has the perfect combination of vegetables and zest.
- 1 pound frozen baby sweet peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated on microplane grater or pressed through garlic press
- 2 tablespoons juice from one lemon
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Set aside 1/4 cup peas for garnish. Place remaining peas, olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice in bowl of food processor (a blender, handheld mixer, whisk, or combining the ingredients into a plastic bag and using a rolling a pin over the bag can be used in place of a food processor) and process until smooth puree is formed, scraping down sides as necessary, about 30 seconds total.
- Transfer hummus to serving bowl, sprinkle with remaining whole peas, drizzle with additional extra-virgin olive oil, and serve with crostini or pita bread.
Add your own special touch to this recipe by adding feta, avocado, or seasonings of your preference. Canned or fresh peas can be used in place of frozen peas. Bottled lemon juice may also be used in place of fresh squeezed lemon. Substitute fresh garlic with pre-minced jarred garlic.
For questions about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or to receive Application Assistance contact the More In My Basket staff:
English Toll Free: 1-855-240-1451
Spanish Toll Free: 1-888-382-7105
Nutrition Facts & Recipe Accessed at: