Happy St. Patrick’s Day! What better way to celebrate than stepping into the spring season (Begins March 20, 2022) with some of our favorite green fruits and vegetables. If we’re LUCKY, they’ll all be low cost and in season at the Farmers’ Market. What green items should you expect this spring and summer?
Spring (March 20-June 21)
- Asparagus: March & April
- Bok Choy: May-Mid June
- Broccoli: April & May
- Collards: Year Round
- Green Peas: May
- Kale: May & June
- Lettuce: Mid April-Mid May
- Mustard Greens: April-June
- Romaine: Mid-April-Mid May
- Spinach: January-May
Summer (June 22-September 22)
- Cucumbers: June & July
- Green Onion: July-September
- Okra: July & August
- Zucchini: Mid-June-September
For a full list of North Carolina’s in-season agriculture, click here. Preserve your Summer finds by Freezing, roasting, sharing, or juicing green vegetables are great ideas to ensure your produce does not go to waste. If you’re running short on time, microwaving vegetables is also an option.
Prep & Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Microwave-safe ceramic or glass bowl
- Wax paper
- Microwave safe dish*only ceramic or glass*
Choose 3 cups of your choice of vegetable: Broccoli & Cauliflower, Asparagus, Leafy Greens or Fresh Peas and Beans
- Wash and trim fresh vegetables. Cut veggies ins mall, even pieces. Add to microwave-safe bowl. Frozen veggies can be placed directly into bowl. *Only ceramic or glass*
- Add 2 tbsp of water. No water is needed if you are steaming leafy greens that have just been washed.
- Cover with wax paper with one corner folded up to allow steam to escape.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes on HIGH. Check to see if veggies are done. *Time varies depending on the strength of the microwave.
- Remove vegetables from microwave. Let sit to finish steaming.
Be sure to check with your local Farmers’ Market to see if SNAP benefits are accepted.
For questions about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or to receive Application Assistance contact the More In My Basket staff:
English Toll Free: 1-855-240-1451
Spanish Toll Free: 1-888-382-7105
Microwave Vegetables accessed at: https://eatfresh.org/recipe/side-dish/microwave-vegetables