Expecting a smaller crowd this year? No worries, More In My Basket (MIMB) has you covered. Most recipes have serving sizes for eight or more people. In order to save time and money, consider adjusting the recipes for a smaller serving size. Cut the ingredient portion size in half. You’ll end up with a meal large enough for one or two, and maybe even have some leftovers.
Since the crowd is smaller, the concerns for different food allergies or preference for meals may be eliminated. Make your meal exactly the way you want without the worry.
Since you’ll be saving money due to a smaller crowd, now is the time to treat yourself to new foods. If you’ve ever looked at something in the grocery store but put it back because of price, this may be the perfect opportunity to consider it.
Check out the recipe below which is portioned perfectly for one or two people. Pair with rice, a salad, noodles, or your favorite vegetable for a full meal!
Maple-Glazed Chicken Breast
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 8 ounces), trimmed and tenders removed (see Tip)
- Whisk syrup, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and pepper in a small, shallow dish. Add chicken and turn to coat with the marinade; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, turning once.
- Coat an indoor grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 165 degrees F, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until reduced by about half, about 4 minutes. Liberally baste the chicken with the reduced sauce and serve.
Tip: Wrap and freeze the chicken tenders. When you have gathered enough, use them in a stir-fry–they are the perfect size.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
|Vitamin a iu:||30.4IU|
All of the ingredients for the above recipes are SNAP eligible. For questions about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or to receive Application Assistance contact the More In My Basket staff:
English Toll Free: 1-855-240-1451
Spanish Toll Free: 1-888-382-7105
Recipe and Nutrition Facts accessed at: https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251914/maple-glazed-chicken-breasts/