Mac and Cheese is typically a side dish, but can also be a main dish depending on your children. Homemade Mac and Cheese is an easy way to incorporate vegetable into your meal. The recipe below is easy on your SNAP dollars and sure to make your children smile! This is perfect for any dinner night.
- 3 cups dry whole wheat pasta
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Parmesan, Swiss)
- 1 container (5.3 ounce) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Save 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Place spinach in the bottom of a colander. Pour the pasta on top of it. Stir to cook the spinach.
- Add pasta and spinach back to the pot. Add cheese and reserved pasta water. Stir until cheese is melted. Remove pan from heat.
- Add yogurt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir until even and creamy
- 6 servings per recipe
- Amount per Serving
- Calories: 270
- Total Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 210mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 14g
- Total sugar: 2g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
Source and Nutrition Information: https://spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu/recipe/homemade-mac-cheese/