In Season Produce
Farmers’ Markets are opening back up and it’s time to shop in season. Choosing in season produce is a great way to purchase what’s in stock and save money. In season produce is likely to be in abundance, and therefore is often sold at a lower price. North Carolina has several in season items during the month of March and April. Produce to look for include asparagus, broccoli, collards, greens, lettuce, mushrooms, peanuts, radishes, spinach, and of course sweet potatoes. Check out the North Carolina Fruit and Vegetable Availability chart before your next grocery trip.
Shop local and support your farmers. Select farmers’ markets across the state also have programs for seniors and recipients of the Women’s, Infants, and Children (WIC) program. Some farmers’ markets may also accept the Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card and have a Double Bucks program. Try this recipe below for an in-season taste.
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil or vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Toast sesame seeds (if using) in a dry skillet on medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, sauté broccoli in oil over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine water, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Add the sauce mixture to the broccoli in the skillet. Stir and cook until broccoli is tender and the sauce has thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if desired. Serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Recipe and Nutrition Facts accessed at: https://foodhero.org/recipes/sesame-broccoli
All of the ingredients for the above recipes are SNAP eligible. For questions about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or to receive Application Assistance contact the More In My Basket staff:
English Toll Free: 1-855-240-1451
Spanish Toll Free: 1-888-382-7105
Leave a Reply