Learn the Basics: How Can More In My Basket Help You?


More In My Basket (MIMB) is designed to assist North Carolinians as they provide sufficient and nutritious food for their families. MIMB accomplishes this through education and application assistance outreach for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) in North Carolina. Participants at our workshop sessions receive education about program eligibility, program benefits, and resources to stretch available household resources. MIMB staff provide individual assistance to help people apply for SNAP as a means to expand their food budget to combat food insecurity.

Do you know your local Family and Consumer Sciences Extension agent?    You can meet your local agent at one of our workshop sessions or at outreach events. The Introducing SNAP! workshop will acquaint you with the SNAP program, demonstrate the impacts of increased food income and discuss eligibility requirements along with how to apply for SNAP.  The Food Planning for My Family workshop is all about how to develop your food budget. Visit our events page to find upcoming MIMB events near you!

Curious if you are eligible?  We have a toll-free Hotline.  MIMB staff can help anyone living in North Carolina to complete a SNAP application via phone. To serve the state, we have Hotlines in English and Spanish to assist you with completing a SNAP application by phone. The English Hotline number is 1-855-240-1451 and the Spanish Hotline number is 1-888-382-7105. Both hotlines are available Monday through Friday, from 8am to 5pm.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

  • What is the income limit for my household?
  • What is a household?
    • A household is considered individuals that live together and buy/prepare food together. Spouses and individuals under 22 living with a parent must participate as one household.
    • In some cases, older adults can be considered a separate household even if they live with adult children.
  • Can I receive extra SNAP dollars if I have special circumstances?
    • If you are 60 or older, or have a disability, you can complete the medical deductions section of the SNAP application. If your medical expenses are over $35 per month, you may qualify for additional SNAP/food stamp dollars each month to help your food budget. You will need to provide documentation/receipts of each expense.
  • What types of medical expenses can I list in the medical deductions section of the SNAP application?
    • Health and hospital insurance premiums or copayments
    • Food and/or veterinary care for a trained service animal
    • Transportation and lodging to get medical treatment
    • Medicare premiums
    • Doctor and hospital bills
    • Prescription and over-the-counter medications and medical supplies such as aspirin, diabetic supplies, and eye glasses
    • Rental and purchase of medical equipment and supplies
    • Prescribed eye glasses and contact lenses
    • Dentures, hearing aids, prostheses
    • Payments for aides, attendants, and nurses (i.e. in-home caregivers)
  • Can I apply if I do not have a social security number?
    • You must have a social security number to receive SNAP benefits. If you are undocumented, but your child is a U.S. citizen you can apply on behalf of your child.
  • How do I receive my SNAP/food stamp dollars?
    • You will receive an Electronic Benefits Card (EBT) in the mail once you have been approved for SNAP. You can use this card just like a normal debit card.
  • Do I have to use all of my benefits by the end of each month?
    • No, you can carry over your monthly benefits for up to 12 months.
  • Can I apply if I am a student?
    • Yes, college students can apply for SNAP. Full time students must be working/volunteering at least 20 hours per week.

Information used in this blog was collected from the following websites: