By Leslie Gernon
Memorial day is a day to remember those who have given their lives for our country; and, it serves as one of the bookends for summer (with Labor Day in September being the other bookend). Coming together with friends or family for a picnic or a backyard barbeque is a great way to welcome in the summer.
FNS/SNAP benefits can help to put meat on the grill and food on the picnic table. If you had just $16 in benefits, here’s how it could help you fund your outdoor feast:
- Ground beef, store-brand, 1-pound tube (93/7 lean) – $4.69
- Hamburger buns, Nature’s Own, 8 count (100% whole-wheat) – $2.89
- Baked beans, Bush’s, 28 ounce – $1.99
- Prepared coleslaw, Ruth’s, 11 ounce – $1.79
- Watermelon, whole seedless – $6.26 each
TOTAL DOLLARS: $17.62*
Putting your $16 worth of FNS/SNAP benefits to work for you, you’d only pay $1.62 for this picnic. Or, perhaps, the week before Memorial Day you’ll find a sale on watermelons and pay even less!
* Prices based on Food Lion items, 4/30/12
Thanks to CarrieLu (Flickr) for the grilling burgers photo