While we still have those kids in the kitchen, let’s start getting them prepared for next school year. We’ve come up with a few easy lunch ideas, children can make themselves with minimal adult supervision. Use your SNAP dollars to purchase the items necessary if you don’t already have them in your home.
Recipe 1: Cheese and Deli Meat Roll Up
- Your selection of cheese
- Your selection of deli meat
- Your selection of flat bread
***Vegetable are encouraged and can be added as desired***
Try some favorites and something new. Some choices might be: red or yellow onion, summer squash, or green or red bell peppers.
- Place your meat and cheese on top of the bread.
- Start rolling one corner over until you have a pinwheel.
Serve this simple meal with your choice of side. We recommend a Fruit cup of pretzels!
Recipe 2: Tortilla Pizza
- Your selection of whole wheat, corn, or flour tortillas
- Tomato sauce (jarred pizza sauce is probably the easiest for children)
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly over the tortilla
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese
- Top with pepperoni
- Arrange on an oven-safe pan, such as a cookie sheet
- Place in the oven or toaster oven for five minutes (adult supervision may be necessary depending on age)
- Carefully transfer cooked pizza’s to plates. Sauce and cheese hold heat. Be careful of the hot cheese and sauce when serving young children.