Nutty Apple Crisp
Looking for a sweet recipe with your favorite fruit? Well look no further! Nutty Apple Crisp takes fresh apples and turns them into a tasty dessert. Sweet varieties of apples like Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Gala work best for this recipe since there is very little added sugar! Adding nuts and oatmeal to the top of this crisp adds fiber, making it heart healthy. Don’t forget to check out your local Farmer’s Market to possibly double your SNAP dollars!
Makes: 10 servings
3 apples, cored and cut into, 1 inch chunks, unpeeled
½ cup raisins
½ lemon, juiced
½ cup old fashioned oats
¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbs brown sugar
¼ cup pistachios, walnuts or almonds, unsalted, chopped
2 Tbs margarine or butter, melted
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350ºF.
- Place sliced apples, raisins, and lemon juice in 8×8 inch pan or baking dish. Toss.
- In a bowl, mix remaining ingredients except melted margarine.
- Add melted margarine and mix until texture is consistent. Sprinkle over apple-raisin mixture.
- Bake uncovered 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender.
Serving Size: ⅓ cup
Total Fat: 4g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Added Sugar: 4g
Source and Nutrition Information accessed at: https://www.snap4ct.org/nutty-apple-crisp.html
Leave a Reply