How to Apply
You’ve checked the “Am I Eligible?” guidelines on Morefood.org and it looks like you meet the General Requirements. So now, how do you apply? Here’s the easy 3-step process.
- Fill out an application.
There are a few ways you can complete the SNAP/FNS application.
- Contact MIMB. This may be the easiest way to apply. More In My Basket staff will assist you with filling out an application over the phone. We’ll let you know what documents may be needed and what to expect for next steps. Click here to complete the referral form and we’ll contact you to complete the application.
- Online through DSS NC ePass. Prefer to do it online yourself? You can complete and submit an application online using NC ePASS.
- Complete a paper application on your own. You can complete the paper application on your own and submit it to your local county Department of Social Services. The SNAP/FNS application can be downloaded here. You can also obtain an application from your County Department of Social Services (DSS). You can pick one up at the office or call and request that an application be mailed to you. The contact information for your County DSS office can be found here.
- Submit your completed application.
Now that you have a completed application, the next step is to:
- Drop off, fax, or mail your application to DSS.
- The address for your local DSS office can be found here.
- If you are unable to do so yourself, you can ask an “authorized representative” to turn your application in for you.
- Speak with a DSS caseworker
The last step in the process is to speak with a DSS caseworker.
- After submitting your application, you will be contacted by a caseworker at your local DSS office. They may reach out by phone or you may receive a letter in the mail.
- Your caseworker will likely request a few documents from you to verify the information in your application. You can contact More In My Basket for a list of documents that may be requested.
- DSS may request an “interview” with you to review these documents. You can always request that the interview take place over the phone, or you can send an “authorized representative” to attend the interview for you.
- Be sure to turn in your documents to DSS by the date requested, or you may have to start the application process over again.
- Questions? We can help!
- If you have any questions about the SNAP program or how to apply, you can contact the staff at More In My Basket by sending us a message here or giving us a call toll-free at 1-855-240-1451
If you are a college or university student in the state of North Carolina, contact More In My Basket for information on how to apply as a student. You can learn more about eligibility as a college student here.