Veggie Stir Fry
There’s nothing like fresh produce. Often time we over buy and underuse on fresh food. Here are some ideas on how to utilize that extra produce before it goes bad.
Freeze. Before you toss out your fresh produce, grab some freezer bags and store them in the freezer. Freeze your produce when it’s at peak freshness. Use frozen fruits for smoothies or baking, and frozen vegetables to cook.
Blend. Mix fruits and vegetables together for a nice, nutrient filled smoothie. Green vegetables may be the dominate color when mixing with other fresh produce, but all the flavors will come together well.
Cook. Look for recipes that call for the use of fresh fruits and vegetables. If you are not a fan of eating vegetables raw, you can easily mix them into almost any dish.
Bake. There are many recipes that call for fruits (muffins, pies, cobblers) and some that call for vegetables (sweet potato brownies-insert MIMB blog link and roasted vegetables)
A simple stir fry can serve as a side dish or entrée if you looking for an easy way to use those vegetables. Just simply mix your favorite vegetables together, add seasonings of your choosing (optional), and enjoy!
Balsamic Stir Fry
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small eggplant, unpeeled
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 small onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- Cooked rice or pasta, optional
Yield: 8 servings, 1 cup servings
- In a large bowl combine olive oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Chop eggplant, zucchini, onion, carrots and bell peppers into bite sized pieces.
- Add vegetables to bowl with balsamic mixture. Stir to coat.
- In a large pan or electric skillet cook vegetables over medium-high heat until crisp tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice or pasta. (optional)
- Calories: 110
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 230 mg
- Carbohydrate: 10 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 6 g
- Protein: 2 g
(Nutrition Facts does not include optional rice or pasta)
Recipe and Nutrition Facts accessed at:
For questions about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or to receive Application Assistance contact the More In My Basket staff:
English Toll Free: 1-855-240-1451
Spanish Toll Free: 1-888-382-7105
Leave a Reply